Chinese (Simplified)EnglishFilipinoFrenchGermanGreekHaitian CreoleIrishJapaneseLithuanianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSpanishSwedishThaiYiddish


BHA Public Housing for the Elderly and Disabled


Brookline Housing Authority

90 Longwood Avenue, Brookline, MA 02446
Tel: 617-277-2022    Fax: 617-277-1462    TTD: 1-800-545-1833, Ext. 213






About State & Federal Public Housing

Sussman HouseBrookline Housing Authority has State and Federally-funded elderly/disabled housing. Our State family developments were built with and are primarily maintained by funds from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and fall under State rules and regulations which are monitored by the Department of Housing and Community Development. Federal developments are built with and primarily maintained by funds from the Federal government and fall under Federal rules and regulations which are monitored by the Department of Housing and Urban Development.


Public housing provides decent, safe and affordable housing for income eligible families, elderly and persons with disabilities.


Who is Eligible for Elderly/Disabled Housing?


Minimum Age Requirement Except if Disabled

Household Income

As of Fiscal Year 2014, gross household income (including income from assets) must be no greater than $47,500 for one person and $54,200 for a two person household. These income limits are adjusted annually.


Besides verifying that a household's income falls within the above income limits, Brookline Housing Authority does credit report, landlord history and CORI (Criminal Offender Record Information) checks on applicant and family members 18 years and older whose application is approaching the top the waiting list.

How to Apply for BHA's Elderly/Disabled Housing

You may obtain an application from Brookline Housing Authority, 90 Longwood Avenue, Brookline, MA 02446 or download an application here. (Note: In order to print or download an application, you must have on or download to your computer the free software, Adobe Reader (


Completed applications must be mailed or brought to Brookline Housing Authority. We do not accept applications that are faxed or e-mailed.


Incomplete applications or applications with information not documented will result in the entire application being returned.

  • Make sure that you read the application carefully, complete each question, and provide copies of each household member's social security card, birth certificate (or other acceptable documentation such as immigration cards) and the required income and asset verification.
  • If you are claiming a preference or priority such as Veteran preference, residence or employment in Brookline, displacement because of natural disaster or government action or domestic violence, you must submit appropriate documentation.
  • Check that all household members who need to sign the forms enclosed with the application have done so.


If you apply, you will receive an acknowledgement of the receipt of your application in approximately 30 days. The receipt will have a Control Number and the approximation time of your wait.


Special Needs Residences


Brookline Housing Authority also owns the McCormick House, 153 Kent Street, which has 10 rooms (2 wheelchair), The Connolly House, 1057 Beacon Street, which has 13 rooms and the Kilgallon House, 11 Harris Street, which has 8 rooms. The McCormick House falls under the State's CH. 689 program while the Connolly and Kilgallon Houses fall under the CH. 167 program. Although the BHA owns these properties, it leases them to a vendor serving a special needs population. The residents are selected by the service provider through a Department of Mental Health prescribed process and don't go through the BHA Applications Office. More information about the CH. 689 and 167 special needs housing programs may be found on the DHCD website.


Learn More About BHA's Elderly/Disabled Developments